Spices are a great addition to food for flavor and aroma but also, each one has healing properties and nutritional benefits. There are so many spices out there to use, depending on your culinary expertise, ethnic background and food preference.
Never buy a spice mix, always buy the spices and mix yourself, unless you trust the source. Make sure there are no there are no preservatives, anti-caking agents, or additives, just the spice. Store your spices in glass jars.
- Powdered spices have a shelf life of about 6 months – 1 year; the longer on the shelf, the less health benefits and flavors it contains.
- Dried leaves have about 1-2 years shelf life.
- Seeds and whole herbs can last several years if properly stored.
Make sure you buy organic and preferably from the U.S., or country you reside in. The reason is, all food products imported to the U.S, organic or not has to go through a process called irradiation.
Fresh herbs can be easily grown on a sunny windowsill, or purchased seasonally at farmers markets; you can use them fresh or dry and store them for future use.
Here are some spice mixtures that you can make on your own:
- 4 Tbs. paprika
- 2 Tbs. each garlic and onion powder
- 2 tsp. each dry mustard and ground thyme
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne
Cajun Blackened Seasoning
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. each black pepper, basil, cumin seed, caraway, fennel, thyme, oregano
- and white pepper
- ½ tsp. each crushed red pepper, salt
- 3 Tbs. paprika
- 2 Tbs. cumin
- 1 Tbs. each turmeric, garlic, cayenne and salt
- 2 Tbs. Chili pepper, crushed
- 1 Tbs. each: garlic powder, onion, paprika, oregano
- 2 tsp. each cumin, celery seed and cayenne
- 1 tsp. ground bay leaf
Chinese Five Spices
- 1 Tbs. each cinnamon, star anise (ground)
- ½ tsp. each (ground) fennel, black pepper, cloves
Indian Curry Powder
- 2 Tbs. coriander
- 2 Tbs. fenugreek
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- ½ tsp. ginger, dried
- ½ Tbs. cayenne (or to taste)
Grind in grinder until powder, or use powdered spices
Indian Curry Powder #2
- 6 Tbs. coriander
- 1 Tbs. each turmeric, fenugreek, and cumin
- 1/2 Tbs. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 2 Tbs. each onion powder, paprika, black pepper, oregano, and bell pepper
- 1 Tbs. Basil
- 2 tsp. lemon thyme (or lemon zest)
- Grind to a powder
- 2 Tbs. each oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil leaves
- 1 Tbs. each rosemary and sage
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1 Tbs. cumin
- ½ tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Lebanese 7 Spice Mix
- 1 Tbs. finely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. ground allspice
- 1 Tbs. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
Persian Seasoning- FRESH
- ½ Cup parsley and coriander and chives
- ¼ Cup mint
- Add this fresh mix to any dish
These are 2 sources to but from that have an excelent reputation, I have NO affiliation.