This recipe was taken from my book A Closer Look At Nutrition & Wellness – Handbook of Digestive Health for Well-being
The tradition of drinking kvass comes from Ukraine. It has over 20 different beneficial probiotics, iron rich and b-vitamin. Beet kvass has all the benefits of beets along with the benefits of fermented foods for a deeply cleansing tonic.
Benefits of Beet Kvass (some benefits):
- Helps alleviate inflammation which may contribute to cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes.
- Serves as an excellent tonic to promote good digestion and overall wellness
- Helps detox from radiation and toxin exposure
- Used as a cancer therapy throughout Europe and is frequently recommended to cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy .
- Beet Kvass is also a good source of natural iodine
- Beet kvass cleanses the liver
- Helps with allergies
One 4-ounce glass of beet kvass each morning and night is said to be an excellent blood tonic, digestive regulator, blood alkalizer, liver cleanser and overall healing tonic.
*This recipe is for a small batch, it can be multiplied as needed.
1 quart size glass jar with a tight fitting lid
2 Tbs. whey
1 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
2 medium beets (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- Place all ingredients in a quart sized jar, put the lid on and shake well.
- Leave the jar on a counter or in a cupboard at room temperature for 3 -7 days (3 days if your kitchen is hot).
- Strain the liquid, leaving the beets in the bottom of the Mason jar and repeat the 3 steps by adding the same amount of water, whey and salt. But discard the beets after the second time.
The taste is acquired, unless you already like beets. Best when served cold. Will stay fresh tasting for about 1 week in the refrigerator.