I absolutely LOVE this recipe, it’s full of goodness and loads of vitamin/minerals. I usually do this one once a week. The simple salad goes so well with the lentil dish.
- 1 C lentils, washed and soaked overnight
- Water or bone broth
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 3/4 ground beef or lamb
- 1 tsp. unrefined salt
- 1 Tbs. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional if you like spicy)
- 2 carrots, diced
- Rinse soaked lentils.
- Bring to a boil in fresh water or bone broth 1 1/2 times the amount of lentils. (For every 1 C soaked lentils use 1 1/2 C water or bone broth.)
- Once water has boiled, simmer and cover.
- In another pan, melt butter and sauté the onions until limp.
- Then add the ground beef, cook fully.
- Next add the salt, cumin and optional cayenne.
- Add this meat mixture and carrots to the lentils when meat is fully cooked.
- Add more water to the lentils if needed, the lentils should not be watery but should have a little liquid so it will not burn.
- Simmer until lentils are soft and tender, about 30 minutes.
Enjoy warm with a simple salad.