I love making chicken and beef shawarma at home and I love it just the same wrapped in lettuce instead of bread, it’s amazing!!
I usually throw ingredients together… a little of this and that and never measure so I thought I’d try the following recipe taken from Mamas Lebanese Kitchen (with a few variations) and see how it turned out so I could share. It is definitely worth a try.
You an eat these as a wrap or as a salad 🙂
- 2.5 lbs of thinly cut skinless boneless chicken breast and/or thigh mixed
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons of plain (Greek) yogurt (or coconut cream, but it might end up with a slight coconut flavor)
- 3 tablespoons of ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of unrefined salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon of ground oregano (or thyme)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of ginger powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. allspice powder
- Rinse the boneless chicken breasts with fresh cold water then cut horizontally into thinner cuts of about ½ inch (each breast could possibly be split into 2 slices depending on thickness).
- Mix all ingredients in a blender, add to a bowl and mix well with the chicken, cover and let marinate in the fridge overnight.
- When ready, grill the marinated chicken using a panini/George Forman grill for about 15 minutes on medium heat. You can also cook the chicken on a BBQ grill if so you wish.
- Once cooked, shred the chicken thinly as in the photo and it’s now ready to be wrapped into a Shawarma Sandwich. Spread the chicken shreds along the diameter of a pita bread, spread a bit of Lebanese Garlic paste, add some salty cucumber pickles, some French fries, and some grilled or fresh tomatoes, roll and enjoy.