It’s berry harvesting time!!
The following jam recipe is super simple and delicious. I have been experimenting with gluten free biscuits and homemade jam is the perfect topping. I am also working on a gluten free homemade “pop-tart” or “cereal bar” type portable food for the kids. Keep an eye out 🙂
- 3 cups of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, grapes or any other berries
- ½ – ¾ C raw local honey (use more or less depending on desired sweetness)
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. arrowroot starch (use only 1 Tbs. if using blueberries)
- Place the berries in a sauce pan on medium heat and smash with the back of a fork or a potato masher.
- Stir constantly and keep breaking up the berries to release the juices.
- Once the juices are released, take note of the level of liquid. Keep stirring to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Take about ½ cup of the liquid out and set aside in a cup (this will be used to dissolve the arrowroot).
- When the liquid has evaporated to half the amount, stir in the honey and lemon juice.
- Using the ½ cup liquid, dissolve the arrowroot starch using a fork, and then add to pot.
- Stir frequently until it starts to thicken. Then remove from heat.
- Skim off any foam, and then scoop the jam into a sterilized jar of choice.
- Store tightly covered in the fridge for a couple of weeks or you can use canning methods to store in a pantry for longer storage.
Original recipe for Paleo blueberry jam from Against All Grain (I added the arrowroot as a thickener).