This stew can be eaten year round, however it is most enjoyed in Early Fall/Spring. This is something I reach for when I need to make a quick meal as it only takes about 20 minutes total prep and cooking.
2 Tbs. Olive oil or butter
2 onions, slivered
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef or lamb
6 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 tsp. unrefined salt or to taste
1/2 tsp. allspice
Dash of pepper
1/4 C chopped cilantro (optional)
1 lb baby spinach or chopped large spinach (or chard may be used)
- Sauté onions on low until limp.
- Add garlic, sauté for about 1 minute more.
- Add ground meat and brown. Keep breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Add spices and salt, mix.
- Add optional mushrooms, stir and cover.
- Let it cook covered for about 5 minutes, storing occasionally.
- Add optional cilantro, mix.
- Add spinach and cover.
- When spinach wilts, stir well, cover and turn off heat.
- Wait a few minutes before serving.
Serve hot or at room temperature over rice, cauliflowered rice, or any other grain or “non-grain” you choose.