Lately I’m enjoying breakfast patties of all flavors, I came across a delicious looking recipe for chorizo, butternut squash and egg on PaleOMG, and since I don’t eat pork, except the occasional pepperoni, I made my own beef chorizo to go along with it.
It turned out fantastic! I’ll be making this recipe quite often this fall. You can easily replace the butternut squash for any other hard winter squash or sweet potato.
- 1 Tbs healthy fat such as grass-fed butter, ghee, tallow, lamb fat, coconut oil
- 4 C butternut squash, seeds and string removed, peeled and diced small
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ pound beef chorizo
- unrefined salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 pasture raised eggs
- Melt the cooking fat in a large frying pan, preferably cast iron.
- Add butternut squash and onion.
- When the butternut squash is soft, add the beef chorizo.
- Break up chorizo into small pieces and cook until completely cooked through.
- Then add salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to press in 5 little crevices. Crack eggs into the crevices. Place a lid over the pan and cook until eggs are cooked to over easy (or to preference), about 3-4 minutes.
If you like avocado, a side of it goes well with this meal.
Here’s one I did with sweet potato, garlic & kale…DELICIOUS!