This power house breakfast (or lunch) is a great Fall time meal. It can be eaten any time of year, but for some reason Fall/Winter is my favorite time to east this for breakfast. These are quick, easy and a great way to incorporate organ meats into your diet. You can omit the organ meats if you like. I always make a side of sweet potato hash or butternut squash hash.
These are great made a few days ahead of time, jut reheat in a toaster oven or on a small pan with a lid and a little water (1 Tbs.) on medium heat for about 5 minutes, flipping once.
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef, grass-fen ground lamb, or pasture raised ground turkey
- 3 Tbs chopped organ meats; liver, heart, kidneys, etc. (you can omit if you want)
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered – and minced if not using a food processor
- 5 cloves of garlic peeled – and minced if not using a food processor
- 1 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp rosemary or fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp sage (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves (optional but recommended when adding liver)
- dash of freshly ground pepper (optional)
- dash of cayenne (optional)
- cooking fat such as coconut oil, grass-fed butter, ghee, grass-fed tallow, or grass-fed lamb fat
- Place the ground meat in a mixing bowl.
- In a food processor, blend all the ingredients including the organ meat, leave out the ground meat.
- Then add the blended ingredients to the ground meat and mix all ingredients together.
- Make patties in any shape and size you want (I like to make small hamburger sized patties).
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium heat and melt your cooking fat of choice.
- Cook the patties on medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side with a lid. When both sides are fully browned, check the middle to see if it’s fully browned and it’s done.
To store, let it cool completely and use a glass container with a lid to store the patties in the fridge for about 3 days (maybe up to 5, you would need to make that call).
For turkey, here is a recipe I really like to make (same instructions as above):
Turkey breakfast patties
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¼ lb chicken livers
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp powdered cloves
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp unrefined salt