This homemade custard is a favorite in our home, especially when guests come over. We like to make almond cookies, crush them, and sprinkle over the tops. We also like to layer banana slices between the custard. I make it both with raw milk or coconut milk, maple syrup or coconut sugar. You can make it chocolate by adding cocoa powder along with the arrowroot. (We stay away from corn, so I use arrowroot in it’s place)
- 2 Tbs. arrowroot starch
- 2 Cups raw milk or coconut milk
- 4 Tbs. C maple syrup or other natural sweetener
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, place the arrowroot and slowly pour in the milk and you whisk them together.
- Then add the sweetener and eggs, whisk well and continue until it thickens for approx 10 minutes. Make sure you are constantly whisking in one direction to prevent the custard from burning.
- Once the custard is formed and it has thickened to a pudding consistency, take off heat and stir in vanilla.
- Immediately, scoop into serving dishes or a serving container and let it cool on the counter for a couple hours or in the fridge until it has cooled down.
*You could layer it using bananas, almond cookies, and homemade whip cream (whole cream and a splash of vanilla in a blender until whipped cream forms)