These Paleo/Vegan treats are a perfect holiday treat to take to any gathering. I have a similar recipe that uses apples and another one that is made with cocoa and nuts for those who don’t want to use cranberries or they are out of season. This recipe calls for coconut butter which is simple to make at home, instructions included at the end of this page.
These multiply very well while simply double, triple or quadruple 🙂 Make approx. 20
- 2 C coconut shreds, unsweetened
- 3 Tbs. coconut oil, divided
- 2 Cups cranberries
- 4 Tbs. maple syrup or raw honey
- In a food processor, place the coconut shreds and turn on a medium speed until it becomes smooth and creamy (like creamy peanut butter), about 7 minutes. This is your coconut butter. (see below pics)
- While the coconut shreds are blending, put 1 Tbs. of the coconut oil in a saucepan with the cranberries and sauté for about 3-5 minutes, just enough to soften them a little and still allowing them to be plump. Remove pan from heat when done.
- When the coconut butter is complete, you will make a cream by transferring to a medium sized mixing bowl and add the remaining 2 Tbs. of coconut oil and sweetener; maple syrup or raw honey and blend well using a spatula.
- When the cream is all blended, fold in the cranberries along with any oil from the pan.
- Scoop 1 Tbs. of the mixture into small cupcake paper, then into a mini muffin pan (or on a plate) and place in the fridge until hard. (You could also use a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and drop 1 Tbs. of the mixture then place in the fridge until hard.)
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.
To make coconut butter, you simply put 2 Cups of shredded coconut (unsweetened) in a food processor and blend until it looks creamy like peanut butter. This makes about 1/2 Cup of coconut butter. You can double the batch measuring out 4 Cups of shreds and will end up with around 1 Cup. (I haven’t tried more than that.)