I came across this recipe a few months ago for carob brownies, I made it once exactly as it stated, then made some adjustments to my liking and digestion, then made some more to become Paleo friendly and I DID IT!! It is actually not a brownie anymore, it is a cake 🙂 and a very tasty one I might add 🙂 So anyway, thank you Joumana from Taste of Beirut for posting your recipe which I have adjusted so I can comfortably eat it.
*Option at the bottom for homemade ice cream sandwiches!!
4 lg eggs
1 C local raw honey or other natural sweetener
1 ripe banana
1/4 C carob molasses (found in Middle Eastern specialty shops), or use another kind of molasses
1/2 C melted butter
1/2 C orange juice
3 Tbs. Cocoa powder
3 Tbs. Arrowroot powder
1 1/2 tps. Baking soda
1/4 tsp. unrefined salt
1 C tahini paste
- Preheat oven 350
- In a blender place the following ingredients in order; eggs and honey, blend on high for 1 minute.
- Then add banana, carob molasses, butter and orange juice.
- Next add cocoa powder, arrowroot, baking soda and salt.
- Finally, blend in the tahini.
- Pour into a greased (butter or coconut oil) 9×13 cake pan and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- *Let it cool completely before cutting.
These can be served as you would any chocolate cake; vanilla ice cream on top (home made preferably), homemade whipped cream or whipped coconut cream, or just by themselves with coffee or tea.
*ICE CREAM SANDWICHES – line a very shallow cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread a thin layer of batter across. Bake for about half the recommended time or until a toothpick comes out clean. When it cools completely, cut into rectangle or squares and fill every 2 pieces with any ice cream of choice (preferably homemade).